Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Compliance - It's Not Just For Bondage Night Anymore...

Like many people who grew up in the 60's and 70's, I'm not very good at discipline [you may have noticed fewer and fewer ships-in-a-bottle are made each year; I fear our American s-i-a-b resources may run out before the next decade ends]. I wanna do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it, and never mind the consequences.


Well, while that operating system should have done wonders for my self-esteem [it didn't, but I don't blame it on the 60's and 70's], it's very likely one of the main reasons I'm writing a blog on dealing with diabetes from a patient's perspective. I'll be honest; I was very aware that I was a likely candidate for type II diabetes from an early age:

-I was morbidly obese;

-There was a history of diabetes in my family

-I certainly didn't eat a very healthy diet; even when what I ate at home was okay, I had a tendency to supplement it with outrageously-bad snacks from the "junk food" aisle of my neighborhood's grocery store.

Put that all together, and it spells "T-y-p-e II".


So, here we are. I'm 51, still morbidly obese, adding to the history of diabetes in my family [it turns out both my brothers, in somewhat better shape than me, are type-II. As was my late mother...]. I'm eating better, but only by not carrying money most of the time [it does work, but it doesn't do wonders for the self-esteem (see above)]. Then again, I'm less morbidly obese than I was a couple of years ago, my blood sugars are mostly under control, and the quality of "junk food" I pick now is much healthier [usually].


This comes down to the discovery, over the years, that when I follow the treatments from my health professionals, I feel better. Not wonderful, but better [the more damage you do to yourself, the less wonderful it feels when you stop. Still, it's a good feeling].
The word most medical professionals use when a patient is properly following the treatment as planned is compliance. You can't imagine how I hate that word. It's not that I have issues with putting my life in the hands of another [I ride buses just about everywhere]. I don't have issues with taking medicine. My problems are eating what I shouldn't, and not exercising [if only Robo-Cop were available as a personal trainer...]. But those issues are part of the "C" word. My treatment, your treatment, is a package. You and I both need to follow all the instructions, as best we can.
(Of course, we don't need to be happy about it. Just as the right to Pursue Happiness is in many nations' Constitutions, so is the implied right to be miserable [if that makes you happy]. The older I get, though, the harder it is to follow after misery.)
All I know is, when I'm compliant with my health care team's treatment plan, I physically feel better. My brain is clearer. My mood improves. I actually believe that all the hassles of being compliant are worth it.
Make compliance your safety word...
-Mike Riley


2 comments:

Kate Burton said...

As someone recently diagnosed I hear ya'. I'm working hard to behave myself but it's not easy. The one thing I've started that is helping is Byetta, seems to make it easier to lose weight. It's a shot, so I was not interested but it seems to be working. Best of luck in your travels.

Mike Riley said...

Kate-

Thanks for dropping a thought. I don't mind shots, so I did Byetta for a while [my problem was, as is the case for some people, it did little or nothing towards reducing my appetite. Oh, well...]. I'm not critical of it as such; just understand that it is NOT A MAGIC BULLET. It may help you, but it may not. There are no magic bullets in diabetes treatment, to the best of my knowledge; if anyone does know of one, please share that info with us. Till then, the struggle continues...

-MR

Post a Comment